For September, I address one of the most insidious challenges we can all face in many aspects of our lives that we may need to “get up” from … Nay-sayers. These are people who tell us what we cannot do – that we are not talented enough, not smart enough, too fat, too lazy … whatever it may be, these are people who write us off for not being able to achieve our goals. These nay-sayers may include:
• Enemies and detractors who are trying to put us down
• Well meaning friends who are trying to give us advice
• Negative people who only have negative things to share about any subject
• Teachers, parents, coaches …. Various people in leadership roles in our lives
• And even sometimes our own internal voices.
But a word of warning …. We do need to discern when some of the negative advice we get is a professional opinion that we may need to heed. If we have a concussion and our physician tells us we cannot skate for three weeks, we best stay of the ice. However, in many cases we just need to “get up” and determine that with hard work, we can achieve our goals and prove the naysayers wrong.
I am reminded that Michelle Daichman, who was featured in one of my earlier blogs about getting up from injury and illness, shared that she was reminded by her Facebook Memories that 9 years ago she going in for her my third knee surgery. She wrote: My doctor made no guarantee that I’d be able to skate again. But I love that I “got up” and proved him wrong, and get to do so every day. This is my “get up story” – never underestimate!
A few more suggestions:
• Really think hard and consider if there is some constructive advice in the naysayers words to you that you can apply to help you succeed.
• Determine internally your own goals and the course you want to take – you can be in control of your life.
• Surround yourself with positive, encouraging people who sincerely want you to succeed and help you do so.
• And finally, be a positive influence on the people around you, and don’t be a naysayer yourself.
My previous “Get Up” blogs can be found on my skating video and blogs page.